Family, Friends & Fellow Officers Remember...

Deputy Sheriff Edward N. Dawes

Uinta County Sheriff's Office, Wyoming

End of Watch Tuesday, July 30, 1895

Leave a Reflection

Reflections for Deputy Sheriff Edward N. Dawes

Rest in peace Deputy Sheriff Dawes.

Rabbi Lewis S. Davis

January 19, 2022

Thank you for your service and please know that no passage of time will ever erase your memory and sacrifice. Rest in peace always.

Detective Cpl/3 Steven Rizzo
Delaware State Police (Retired)

July 30, 2020

Deputy Sheriff Dawes,
On today, the 125th anniversary of your death I would just like to say thank you for your service and sacrifice- not just as as a Law Enforcement Officer but for our Country as well when you served with the Union Army during the Civil War.


United States Border Patrol

July 30, 2020

On this day our agency, Uinta County Sheriff's Office, Evanston, Wyoming would like to recognize Uinta County Sheriff's Deputy Edward Dawes:
In July, 1895, two suspects, Patrick Coughlin (23 years old) and Fred George, had attempted to murder Summit County (Utah) Sheriff Harrington and Summit County Deputy Williamson in a shootout, both officers were wounded. Coughlin and George were also known horse thieves, livestock rustlers and muggers. Uinta County Sheriff John Ward was contacted to be on alert for the pair of outlaws. On July 29th, 1895, Uinta County Sheriff's Deputy Edward N. Dawes, 43 years of age, Echo City Constable Thomas Stagg, Uinta County Sheriff's Deputy Robert “Bob” Calverley, and Uinta County Sheriff's Deputy William Taylor were riding as part of a 4 man posse attempting to arrest Coughlin and George. The posse received word Coughlin and George were barricaded in a cabin near Duck Creek (Rich County, Utah), 12 miles west of Evanston. As the sun rose on July 30th, 1895, a gun battle erupted. Dawes had positioned himself behind a post in direct line with one of the cabin's windows and Stagg in a slight depression in the ground. Coughlin apparently climbed out a window and outflanked Dawes, shooting him in the side, with the bullet passing through both lungs. Constable Stagg was shot in the neck, killing him instantly. The remaining posse members withdrew, Deputy Calverley was wounded and Deputy Taylor’s coat collar was shot off. The two outlaws then approached Dawes, who was reportedly still alive. Coughlin claimed to have given the Evanston lawman some water and attempted to make him comfortable.
Outlaws Coughlin and George left before the posse could return. When Deputy Calverley and Deputy Taylor returned with help, they found Dawes and Stagg both dead. The two fugitives passed through Ogden, Utah and shortly thereafter engaged in a short gunfight at City Creek Canyon on August 1st, but again escaped. Following a massive manhunt and another gun battle, the two suspects were captured at Willow Creek Canyon, not far from the Great Salt Lake in Tooele County (Utah), on August 5th, 1895 by Tooele County Sheriff McKellar and a determined posse of locals.
Coughlin was convicted and he chose to be executed by firing squad. On Sunday December 8th, 1896 Coughlin was loaded onto a train in Ogden and transported to Evanston, Wyoming, then to Woodruff, Utah, where they arrived at 5:00 pm and laid over for an hour to warm up, as it was freezing cold. Randolph, Utah was reached about 7:00 pm and he was lodged in the county jail. Coughlin’s execution took place on December 15th, 1896. Deputy Bob Calverley had charge of the execution and decided it should take place in Sage Hollow, at the location where Deputy Dawes and Constable Stagg had been murdered. Deputy Bob Calverley and five selected men performed the execution by firing squad. There were between 200 and 300 spectators present.
Fred George was also convicted and sentenced to prison, he was paroled in 1902.
Deputy Dawes also served as the Evanston City Marshall and was a veteran of the Civil War, where he served with the 38th Ohio Infantry and fought with General William T. Sherman on his march to Atlanta. He was survived by his wife and is buried in the Evanston Cemetery in Evanston, Wyoming. Dawes' name was engraved on the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial on May 13th, 2009 during the 21st Annual Candlelight Vigil in Washington D.C. as part of National Police Week.
**If you have any corrected or conflicting information, please let us know, this article was prepared with the information we had available to us.
**Please also note, there are conflicting spellings of Deputy Calverley's last name, also listed as Calverly

Sgt Brooke Hale
Uinta County Sheriff's Office, Wyoming

April 28, 2020

To fully appreciate the heroes of the present, we must recognize our heroes of the past. Your heroism and service is honored today, the 118th anniversary year of your death. I am priviliged to be among the first to leave a tribute to you. Your memory lives and you continue to inspire. Thank you for your service. My cherished son Larry Lasater was a fellow police officer who was murdered in the line of duty on April 24, 2005 while serving as a Pittsburg, CA police officer.

Time never diminishes respect. Your memory will always be honored and revered. Rest In Peace

Phyllis Lasater Loya
mom of fallen Pittsburg (CA) officer Larry Lasater

January 23, 2013

Deputy Sheriff Dawes,
It has taken over 113 years, but you are finally being honored. I would just like to say thank you for your service and sacrifice for the citizens of Uinta County.



March 24, 2009

Want even more control of your Reflection? Create a free ODMP account now for these benefits:

  • Quick access to your heroes
  • Reflections published quicker
  • Save a Reflection signature
  • View, edit or delete any Reflection you've left in the past

Create an account for more options, or use this form to leave a Reflection now.