Patrolman Francis McKeon

Patrolman Francis McKeon

New York City Police Department, New York

End of Watch Saturday, November 17, 1945

Francis McKeon

Patrolman Francis McKeon was shot and killed with his own weapon by an emotionally disturbed person he had pursued the into Highbridge Park.

Patrolman McKeon was on patrol when he received a call of a domestic dispute on West 174th Street, Manhattan. Patrolman McKeon arrived to find an emotionally disturbed man attempting to attack his wife. The man fled from Patrolman McKeon and ran into Highbridge Park. Once inside the park, the man turned and attacked Patrolman McKeon. The man was able to wrestle patrolman McKeon's nightstick away from him. The suspect struck Patrolman McKeon with the nightstick, knocking him unconscious. As he lay unconscious, the man removed Patrolman McKeon's service revolver from his holster and fired one shot into the patrolman's head, killing him.

The suspect then returned to his apartment, firing one shot at a passing automobile and another at a passing trolly car. The police were again called and responded to the location. Before the Patrolmen arrived, the man broke into vehicle and hid inside. The first two Patrolmen arrived in a patrol car. They were immediately met with gunfire. They returned fire, but did not strike the suspect. The suspect kept firing until the revolver was empty. As the two Patrolmen approached the vehicle the suspect was hiding in, the suspect lept from the vehicle and attacked them with the nightstick he had stolen from Patrolman McKeon. He then ran to the patrol car and jumped in. As he began to pull away, two more Patrolmen arrived in a patrol car and blocked his path. They exited and fired several shots at the suspect, as the suspect as he attempted to run them down, killing him.

When the Patrolmen observed the police revolver and nightstick they began searching for Patrolman McKeon. A man walking his dog found him inside the park and notified the police.

Patrolman McKeon was posthumously awarded the New York City Police Department Medal of Honor for his actions.

Patrolman McKeon was murdered on his first day back on duty after serving four years with the United States Navy in World War II. Patrolman McKeon was survived by his wife and two children. He was assigned to the 34th Precinct.


  • Age Not available
  • Tour Not available
  • Badge 5912

Incident Details

  • Cause Gunfire
  • Weapon Officer's handgun
  • Offender Shot and killed

Most Recent Reflection

View all 10 Reflections

Rest in peace hero.a a

Lt. Jim Russo

November 17, 2017

Create an account for more options, or use this form to leave a Reflection now.