Trooper Paul L. Hutchins

Trooper Paul L. Hutchins

Michigan State Police, Michigan

End of Watch Friday, August 30, 1985

Add to My Heroes

Paul L. Hutchins

Trooper Hutchins was shot and killed while off duty during an armed robbery. Trooper Hutchins and a companion were in Detroit when two men approached them and demanded Trooper Hutchins' wallet and his companion's purse. After giving up the items the suspects instructed them to walk to a more secluded area.

As he complied, the suspects saw an additional wallet in Trooper Hutchins' pocket and demanded he hand it over. This wallet contained his identification and badge. As he gave it to them he suddenly pushed his companion away and drew his off-duty weapon as he ran a short distance away to draw the suspect's attention from his companion. As he turned back to the suspects he was struck in the head by a round fired by one of them.

Four local gang members were apprehended and charged with Trooper Hutchins' murder in December of 1986. Three suspects were 17 years-old, one a female. All four were convicted of second degree murder and armed robbery and sentenced to 150 to 300 years in prison. Their terms were later reduced to 95 to 150 years. One of the suspects later received a life sentence for his involvement in two unrelated Detroit murders.


  • Age 30
  • Tour 7 years
  • Badge Not available

Incident Details

  • Cause Gunfire
  • Weapon Handgun
  • Offender Four sentenced to 300 years

Most Recent Reflection

View all 20 Reflections


On August 29, 2015 it will be 30 years since you were taken from us. We were friends, neighbors, and fellow troopers. We worked at together at Posts 24 (New Baltimore) and 29 (Detroit). Sometimes we would ride together to work, talking Detroit baseball, our next pass days and about "Doin' Time at Post 29."

I remember you riding your new motorcycle over to my house to see our new born son - who is now 30 years old and a Michigan State Trooper as well.

Unfortunately, I will never forget August 28, 1985. You took the day off from the afternoon shift. It was a warm summer evening. After work some of us on afternoons stopped at Casey's bar by Tiger Stadium to have a beer. Shortly after we got there our shift supervisor, John Appicelli called us over by the front window and advised us you had been shot. We rushed over to Detroit Receiving Hospital where the doctor huddled us into a room and after beating around the bush, he advised us that due to your severe injuries, it was just a matter of time.......I asked the doctor to see you and I remember how helpless I felt that there was nothing I could do to help a fellow trooper, a hero, a friend who was dying.

Even though I had the honor to be one of your pallbearers, your funeral was a blur. Everything thing we did that day was final - there was no going back, no do overs. A friend and great trooper was laid to rest.....

I hope you know Lynne and I visit you every August 29th. And, we will continue until we meet again.

May God and St. Michael watch over you.


Inspector Gene Adamczyk (retired)
Michigan State Police

August 28, 2015

Want even more control of your Reflection? Create a free ODMP account now for these benefits:

  • Quick access to your heroes
  • Reflections published quicker
  • Save a Reflection signature
  • View, edit or delete any Reflection you've left in the past

Create an account for more options, or use this form to leave a Reflection now.