Chief of Police Anthony Dwight Lucas

Chief of Police Anthony Dwight Lucas

French Camp Police Department, Mississippi

End of Watch Friday, February 4, 2005

Add to My Heroes

Anthony Dwight Lucas

Chief Anthony Lucas died after being struck by a shotgun blast at approximately 2015 hours.

Chief Lucas, along with other officers, ended a brief pursuit at a residence on Whites Road, in Weir, where the chief, who was assisting Ackerman Police, was killed.

He was the part-time police chief in French Camp, and had joined other Choctaw County officers in the pursuit of a car that had fled during a traffic stop. The fleeing car stopped at a house in Weir and the four juveniles inside the car jumped out, with three running inside the house and one running down the road. As the chief walked toward the house, a 16-year-old male came out and shot him with a shotgun.

On August 31, 2005, the suspect was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to life in prison.

Chief Lucas served as the part-time police chief of the French Camp Police Department for 2 years and also served as a full time parole and probation officer for the Mississippi Department of Corrections. He had served with the Department of Corrections for 7 years. He is survived by his wife and 5-year-old son.


  • Age 32
  • Tour 7 years
  • Badge FC1

Incident Details

  • Cause Gunfire
  • Weapon Shotgun
  • Offender Sentenced to life

Most Recent Reflection

View all 189 Reflections

Remembering you on this day old friend.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of GOD." Matthew 5:9

John Edwards, Agent III
Ms. Dept. of Corrections

February 4, 2020

Want even more control of your Reflection? Create a free ODMP account now for these benefits:

  • Quick access to your heroes
  • Reflections published quicker
  • Save a Reflection signature
  • View, edit or delete any Reflection you've left in the past

Create an account for more options, or use this form to leave a Reflection now.