Detective Sergeant Patrick A. King

Detective Sergeant Patrick A. King

Long Branch Police Department, New Jersey

End of Watch Thursday, November 20, 1997

Add to My Heroes

Patrick A. King

Sergeant Patrick King was shot and killed by a wanted murderer who had been arrested by the same agency two weeks earlier under an alias.

Sergeant King was on his meal break and had just ordered food at a local restaurant. Unknown to Sergeant King, the suspect had called 911 twice in the preceding few minutes in an attempt to lure a police officer to the area. The suspect was wanted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation for a murder he had committed in Massachusetts in 1996. After learning that the FBI was searching for him, the suspect vowed that he would not go to prison and decided to kill as many police officers as he could before killing himself.

As Sergeant King was standing at the counter of the restaurant waiting for his order, the suspect walked up behind him and shot him in the back of the head twice with a .38 caliber handgun. The suspect then took Sergeant King's service weapon and stole his patrol car. He then used the patrol car's radio to taunt other officers.

The suspect then car-jacked two separate cars and led New Jersey State Police and other Long Branch police officers on a 50-mile high speed chase that ended on the George Washington Bridge between New Jersey and New York City, New York. After crashing his vehicle on the bridge the man engaged other officers in a gunfight before committing suicide with Sergeant King's weapon.

A police officer from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Police Department was accidentally shot and wounded by a New Jersey State Police trooper during the shootout on the bridge.

Sergeant King had served with the Long Branch Police Department for 22 years. He is survived by his wife and two sons.


  • Age 45
  • Tour 22 years
  • Badge 167

Incident Details

  • Cause Gunfire
  • Weapon Handgun; .38 caliber
  • Offender Committed suicide


Most Recent Reflection

View all 71 Reflections

I was working that night as a Patrol Sergeant in Point Pleasant Beach that night. I was deeply saddened and shocked how senseless his death was and how quickly horrible things can happen to Police officers. I hung an etching of the Sergeant’s name from the National Law Enforcement wall along with several other fallen heroes of NJ Law enforcement in our station. Condolences to his family.

Sgt Michael Menzella
Point Pleasant Beach Police Department

December 22, 2023

Want even more control of your Reflection? Create a free ODMP account now for these benefits:

  • Quick access to your heroes
  • Reflections published quicker
  • Save a Reflection signature
  • View, edit or delete any Reflection you've left in the past

Create an account for more options, or use this form to leave a Reflection now.