Chief of Police Bruce Felder Rainey

Chief of Police Bruce Felder Rainey

Weatherford Police Department, Oklahoma

End of Watch Monday, June 23, 1941

Bruce Felder Rainey

Chief Rainey was shot and thrown into a crevice where he died from his wounds.

Chief Rainey was supervising the painting of lines on the streets of the city of Weatherford on June 23rd. At 9:30 p.m. his car was found abandoned about a mile west of the city on Highway 66. The keys were missing, however, a shotgun and police whistle were found inside. Chief Rainey was no where to be found.

A massive search effort began. About noon on July 3rd, Chief Rainey’s body was found in a rock crevice two miles south of Weatherford. An autopsy report indicated blunt force trauma on the left side of his head causing a fractured skull, and three bullet wounds to the head which apparently occurred after he had been thrown in the rock crevice. His billfold was still on his body, but missing were his keys, gun and watch.

The shooter was caught during a routine police arrest on June 29th. A Chickasha man was charged with burglary and illegal possession of a pistol when a finger print expert happened to see the pistol and remarked it was the same make and model as the one that killed Chief Rainey. Tests proved the pistol was in fact the same weapon used to murder Chief Rainey. He was convicted of murder on October 1st and sentenced to life in prison. He was paroled in the spring of 1973.

Chief Rainey was survived by his wife, daughter, and two sons.


  • Age Not available
  • Tour Not available
  • Badge Not available

Incident Details

  • Cause Gunfire
  • Weapon Handgun
  • Offender Not available

Most Recent Reflection

View all 6 Reflections

Time may have passed but you are not forgotten. I believe as long as someone remembers you or speaks your name, you are still with us.
Thank you for your heroism.
GOD Bless

Detention Officer A.Zambito

June 23, 2015

Create an account for more options, or use this form to leave a Reflection now.