Login | About Us | Contact Us | Search Connect With ODMP Facebook Twitter
ODMP Remembers...

Officer James Rayburn Grayson | North Wilkesboro Police Department, North Carolina North Wilkesboro Police Department, North Carolina


James Rayburn Grayson

North Wilkesboro Police Department, North Carolina

End of Watch: Thursday, June 1, 1933

Bio & Incident Details

Age: 22

Tour: 2 years

Badge # Not available

Cause: Gunfire

Weapon: Gun; Unknown type

Offender: Sentenced to 30 years

· Leave a Reflection
· Add to My Heroes
· Update this memorial

Share this memorial:
Email to a Friend

Officer James Grayson was shot and killed while investigating a suspicious person.

At approximately 8:55 p.m. on the night of May 31, 1933, Night Officer John Walker (who would later become the chief of police) and Night Officer Grayson were on duty and received a call that two men had brandished a pistol at Beeches Place on 10th Street (present location of Key City Grill). The officers responded, locating only one of the suspects.

Officer Walker followed the suspect down 10th Street toward Main Street, and Officer Grayson went up the alley between 10th and 9th streets, behind what was then Dick's Service Station, and then turned right and went toward Main Street.

When Officer Grayson reached Main Street, he located the suspect in front of the Deposit and Savings Bank (now SunTrust Bank). When Officer Grayson took hold of the suspect’s arm, five shots were fired. Officer Grayson was struck twice, once in the arm and once in the abdomen. The suspect fled on foot through an alley. Officer Grayson walked a few steps toward Officer Walker, who was near the Boone Trail marker at the corner of 10th and Main Street, telling him he had been shot.

Officer Grayson was taken by automobile to the Wilkes Hospital, where he died at 5 a.m. the next morning.

The suspect was arrested a short time later at C.O. Bumgarner’s store on Boone Trail at the top of Cotton Mill Hill by Deputy Sheriff Silas Reynolds. After a search of the area where the shooting had taken place, the murder weapon, a .32 caliber Smith & Wesson pistol, was found and taken in as evidence. The suspect was convicted of second degree murder and sentenced to 30 years.

Officer Grayson was single and had served with the agency for 2 years.

In June, 2012 the West D Street (Business 421) bridge over the Reddies River was dedicated to the memory of Officer Grayson.

Leave a Reflection · Update Memorial

View all 5 Reflections

Most Recent Reflection

Time may have passed but you are not forgotten. I believe as long as someone remembers you or speaks your name, you are still with us.
Thank you for your heroism.
GOD Bless

Detention Officer A.Zambito
June 1, 2015


Create an account for more options, or use this form to leave a Reflection now:

(will show below Reflection)
(will show below Reflection)
(e-mail remains private)
Remember my rank, agency and email address
I have read and agree to the Reflections Terms of Use
(revised 5/31/2012)
All 2017 Deaths