Deputy U.S. Marshal George W. Dillaway

Deputy U.S. Marshal George W. Dillaway

United States Department of Justice - United States Marshals Service, U.S. Government

End of Watch Thursday, December 14, 1911

George W. Dillaway

Deputy Marshal George Dillaway succumbed to gunshot wounds sustained one week earlier when he was mistaken for an armed striker during a railroad labor dispute in Memphis, Tennessee.

Deputy Marshal Dillaway, along with another deputy marshal and a Special Policeman Victor Benner of the Illinois Central Railroad Police, were on a switch engine which was traveling south from the McLemore Yards to the Nonconnah Yards. When the engine reached Horn Lake Road it stopped so the conductor could throw a switch in the track.

Several other railroad guards were near the scene and had been drinking. They saw the three men on the switch engine, and believing they were trespassers, opened fire. Special Policeman Benner was struck in the neck and killed instantly. The two deputy marshals returned fire, wounding two of the guards before Deputy Marshal Dillaway was struck in the chest. He succumbed to his wounds seven days later.

None of the drunk guards were prosecuted for either murder.

Deputy Marshal Dillaway was survived by his wife.


  • Age 53
  • Tour Not available
  • Badge Not available

Incident Details

  • Cause Gunfire
  • Location Tennessee
  • Incident Date Thursday, December 7, 1911
  • Weapon Handgun
  • Offender Never prosecuted

Most Recent Reflection

View all 6 Reflections

A disgrace that the drunken guard were never prosecuted regardless of the killing of two law enforcement officers. I can only hope they learned something from their actions and suffered remorse for the rest of their lives. Thank you for your service to the United States, Marshal Dillaway.

God Bless and may you forever Rest in Peace, Brother.

Ptl. Jim Leahy, Jr.
Harvard University Police Dept.

September 22, 2014

Create an account for more options, or use this form to leave a Reflection now.