Login | About Us | Contact Us | Search Connect With ODMP Facebook Twitter
ODMP Remembers...

Officer Matthew Dean Tokuoka | Hoonah Police Department, Alaska Hoonah Police Department, Alaska


Matthew Dean Tokuoka

Hoonah Police Department, Alaska

End of Watch: Saturday, August 28, 2010

Bio & Incident Details

Age: 39

Tour: 1 year

Badge # 104

Military veteran

Cause: Gunfire

Weapon: Gun; Unknown type

Offender: Sentenced to 198 years

· Leave a Reflection
· Add to My Heroes
· Update this memorial

Share this memorial:
Email to a Friend

Officer Matthew Tokuoka and Sergeant Anthony Wallace were ambushed and killed by a lone gunman.

Officer Tokuoka, who was off-duty, was in his car with his family when he stopped to talk to Sergeant Wallace who was standing outside his vehicle. Sergeant Wallace's mother was visiting him in Alaska and was accompanying him on a ride along at the time.

A man who the two officers had arrested on several occasions in the past opened fire on Sergeant Wallace from a concealed position nearby, striking Sergeant Wallace in the leg and chest, penetrating his vest.

Officer Tokuoka was able to radio in a brief situation report and then attempted to drag Sergeant Wallace to cover when he was shot twice in the chest.

Sergeant Wallace passed away in the early morning hours of August 29th and Officer Tokuoka passed away just before midnight on August 28th at the Hoonah Clinic ER before he could be flown to a trauma center.

The suspect, a former Army marksman, fled to his house and barricaded himself inside while approximately 100 officers, including SWAT teams from the Alaska State Troopers and the Juneau Police Department, responded to the scene. The suspect surrendered to officers after remaining barricaded for two days, but in January of 2012 an Alaska superior court judge ruled that the suspect was not mentally competent to stand trial, however, that ruling was overturned. He was subsequently convicted of two counts of first degree murder on November 3rd, 2012. On April 4th, 2013, the subject was sentenced to 198 years in prison.

Officer Tokuoka had served for 10 years as a U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations Diver and had worked for the Hoonah Police Department for 18 months. He is survived by his wife, two sons, two daughters, father, and three sisters.

The badge numbers of Sergeant Wallace and Officer Tokuoka were retired following their murders. The Hoonah City Council proclaimed the memorial service day for both officers, September 8th, as Anthony Wallace and Matthew Tokuoka Day.

In April of 2011, Officer Tokuoka was honored by the Governor of Alaska by being posthumously awarded the Police Medal of Honor with gold laurels for valor for his actions.

Leave a Reflection · Update Memorial

Related Line of Duty Deaths

Sergeant Anthony Michael Wallace
Hoonah Police Department, Alaska
End of Watch: Sunday, August 29, 2010
Cause: Gunfire

View all 163 Reflections

Most Recent Reflection

I got the chance to live in Hoonah for a few months. Back in 1996 it was a small fishing village.......a close knit community. I'm shocked and saddened whenever this happens but I can only imagine the pain the community suffered as a result of the loss of these 2 officers.


Kimberley Luoto, CO
August 29, 2016


Create an account for more options, or use this form to leave a Reflection now:

(will show below Reflection)
(will show below Reflection)
(e-mail remains private)
Remember my rank, agency and email address
I have read and agree to the Reflections Terms of Use
(revised 5/31/2012)
All 2017 Deaths