Police Officer Thomas Frederick Ballman

Police Officer Thomas Frederick Ballman

Kirkwood Police Department, Missouri

End of Watch Thursday, February 7, 2008

Thomas Frederick Ballman

Officer Thomas Ballman and Sergeant William Biggs were shot and killed when a suspect opened fire at a Kirkwood city council meeting. The man had held a grudge against the city council for several years and had filed several lawsuits against the city.

The suspect approached Sergeant Biggs across the street from the city hall and asked him what time the meeting started, then pulled out a handgun and fatally shot him in the head. The man then took Sergeant Biggs' service weapon and walked across the street into the city hall.

When he entered the council chambers, he approached Officer Ballman, who was sitting in the front of the room, and also fatally shot him in the head. The man then opened fire on the other occupants of the room, killing two council members and the director of public works before being shot and killed by two other officers.

Officer Ballman had served with the Kirkwood Police Department for 9 years and had previously served with the St. Charles County Sheriff's Office for 2 years. He is survived by his wife and two children.


  • Age 37
  • Tour 11 years
  • Badge 282

Incident Details

  • Cause Gunfire
  • Weapon Gun; Unknown type
  • Offender Shot and killed

Most Recent Reflection

View all 476 Reflections

I am sitting here dealing with the loss of one of my officers (Sgt Steven Floyd DE DOC E.O.W. 2-2-17). And I am comforted by the thought that he is there with you in heaven. You were a great mentor to me while we served in the Corps and I would like to think that I took some of those qualities & traits you taught us young devil dogs and have applied it to my career. You may be gone but you will never forgotten.

Semper Fi brother!

Lt. M. Stevenson
Delaware Dept of Corrections

February 8, 2017

Create an account for more options, or use this form to leave a Reflection now.