Bio & Incident Details
Tour: 24 years
Badge # Not available
Cause: Exposure to toxins
Incident Date: 1/17/2000
Sheriff Oren Smith succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning after responding to a medical call where a couple had also been overtaken by carbon monoxide.
Upon arriving at the scene, Sheriff Smith entered the house and pulled the couple outside. While doing so, he was exposed to a high level of carbon monoxide and had to be admitted to the hospital where he died two days later as a result.
Sheriff Smith had served with the Edwards County Sheriff's Department for 24 years. He was survived by his wife and two children.