Bio & Incident Details
Age: Not available
Tour: 1 year, 3 months
Badge # Not available
Cause: Exposure to toxins
Patrolman Richard Ross succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning after his exhaust pipe was damaged.
He had just completed investigating an accident on U.S. 287, near Hugo, and backed his vehicle over a bent sign post. The impact punched a hole through the exhaust pipe. Realizing he damaged the cruiser he called for his supervisor and left the engine running while finishing his report. Two passing truck drivers found Patrolman Ross unconscious and called for assistance but Patrolman Ross had succumbed to the poisoning at the scene.
Patrolman Ross had served with the Colorado State Patrol for 16 months.