Login | About Us | Contact Us | Search Connect With ODMP Facebook Twitter
ODMP Remembers...

Deputy Marshal Charles Ring | Saginaw Police Department, Michigan Saginaw Police Department, Michigan

Deputy Marshal

Charles Ring

Saginaw Police Department, Michigan

End of Watch: Wednesday, September 14, 1864

Bio & Incident Details

Age: Not available

Tour: 1 year

Badge # Not available

Cause: Gunfire

Weapon: Gun; Unknown type

Offender: Not available

· Leave a Reflection
· Add to My Heroes
· Update this memorial

Share this memorial:
Email to a Friend

During the late night hours of Wed. Sept. 14, 1864, Deputy Marshal Charles Ring and his friend Moses Hess werw walking along Genessee St. As the two men crossed Franklin St., Mr. Hess looked down Franklin St. and saw two men standing in the shadows near the door of the saloon in Everett House. Hess thought nothing of this, and he and the deputy marshal continued to walk to Hess's office at the corner of Genessee and Washington St. There, shortly after midnight the two men parted company. Mr. Hess, a reputable businessman, was the last person to see Deputy Marshal Ring alive.

Mr. Wesley, owner of the Everett House hotel, was awakened by loud singing in the hotel bar. He came downstairs from his room, and asked the men in the bar to be quiet. On his way back upstairs, Mr Wesley heard a gunshot, and saw a flash from outside of the saloon door facing Genessee St. Then he heard a thud as if someone had fallen against the door. When the hotel clerk opened the door, he saw Deputy Marshal Ring lying on the ground, bleeding from a head wound. Two men standing near the scene surrendered their pistols to a magistrate who happened to be in the bar that evening. The weapons were marked and stored in the hotel safe. A medical exam of the deceased deputy marshal's body revealed that the deputy had been shot in the head, slightly below and behind the right ear, at very close range. The bullet removed from Rings skull was very similar to the bullet in one of the two weapons held by the magistrate. However, a coroner's jury concluded that Deputy Marshal Charles Ring came to his death by a pistol shot from the hands of some person unknown.

On September 17, 1864, the town council held a special meeting and pledged a $1,000 reward for the apprehension of Ring's murder. The reward was never collected. Deputy Marshal Ring had been appointed to the force about one year before his death

Leave a Reflection · Update Memorial

View all 4 Reflections

Most Recent Reflection

The promise... Always honored, never forgotten.

Sgt. T. J. Jones
Greater Cleveland Transit Police Department, Ohio
September 14, 2014


Create an account for more options, or use this form to leave a Reflection now:

(will show below Reflection)
(will show below Reflection)
(e-mail remains private)
Remember my rank, agency and email address
I have read and agree to the Reflections Terms of Use
(revised 5/31/2012)
All 2017 Deaths